Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's often the hardest thing we can do...

"when I am weak"
2 Corinthians 12:10

Because I'm my kids' teacher, I'm fortunate to be more than just a bystander in their education.  Not only am I aware and involved in every decision about textbooks, lesson plans and field trips, but I'm privy to their love of, and struggles with, learning.  I know their favorite subjects (art, science and math; US history and science) and I know their least favorite subjects.

I've often said, to non-homeschool parents, that one of the joys is getting to experience triumph.  All parents get to be a part of this as they watch their children learning to walk, or talk, or ride a bike.  Homeschooling parents get to experience the triumph that is understanding.  Learning to read, and the joyous face that goes along with recognizing a big word that you've heard spoken, but never seen in print.  That expression that says, "oh, I know this word!"  Or watching them do their math, and go from a furrowed brow of confusion, to the smile that accompanies, "ohhh..... now I get it!" 

But for every triumph of comprehension, there has been the struggle, sometimes the agony, of incomprehension.   Because Understanding's evil co-hort ~ is Confusion.  That can be hard to watch, and frustrating for me, when I don't have the magic words to help them understand a concept, or remember a fact.  For me, giving them my best means being patient, and persevering.  As long as they're trying to learn, I'll keep trying to help them. 

For them however, giving their best, means just that ~ trying.  Trying harder to understand; trying to focus on their homework when they'd rather play outside; trying to give their best effort to a subject they don't like.  And sometimes they apologize to me when they feel like they have failed in those efforts, but I have such joy and pride in my heart just to see them try!  There's so much beauty and sincerity in trying, don't you think? 

And I like to think this is how God feels, too.  He's so loving and so compassionate.  He is our Shepherd, and our Abba Father, and He wants us to learn and grow.  And though we may fail, often repeatedly, I believe He is blessed by our sincere efforts. 

Try, though you think you can't succeed.

Try, though you've tried before. 

Try, though you're not even sure you want to. 

All He wants is your best; weak though it may be.  He'll do the rest.

~ "Therefore, my beloved brethren, 
be steadfast, immovable, 
always abounding in the work of the Lord, 
know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord" ~
1 Corinthians 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment