Friday, February 24, 2012

How many i's are there in "sacrifice" ?


"When you sacrifice crippled or diseased animals, 
is that not wrong?”
Malachi 1:8

It seems incredible to me that in the time of animal sacrifices, anyone could possibly have done it wrong.  God gave such clear instructions on what and how to sacrifice to Him.  Instructions so precise, some people would say they are among the most tedious parts of the Bible to read.  And over and over, He specifies the condition of the animals to be sacrificed:  spotless and without blemish.  Yet here they were, sacrificing blind, crippled and diseased animals. 

Why did they bother?  Did they think that God wouldn’t notice?  Or did they think it was only important to obey the spirit of the law?

So then I have to wonder: what are the sacrifices I make?  And are they truly sacrifices? Does it please God when I give clothes to the needy, but only those that no longer fit or are faded?  Have I done what He asked if I give money to my church every Sunday, but only what I can afford without affecting me?  Is it enough to have quiet time with Him, but only when it fits into my schedule?  Is it enough to make the effort to do it in the morning, but without sacrificing my sleep? 

He expects a spotless and unblemished sacrifice from me – and He is worthy of nothing less.


~ "I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God
   that which costs me nothing" ~
2 Samuel 24:24

No comments:

Post a Comment