Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sitting at His Feet

"distracted with much"
Luke 10:40

Busy weekend for our household recently.  Baseball practice (Amazing Boy and the Apple of my Eye, who was running the practice in the coach's absence); and an informal Bible Study (Awesome Girl) on Saturday morning.  I was over at my folks' house visiting with my sister and brother-in-law, who were in town for the weekend.  Then, as soon as baseball practice was over and showers were taken, we drove with my parents, my sister and my brother-in-law, almost two hours to my uncle's for a family gathering.  Food and fun and family for several hours, then drove the two hours home, taking the scenic route through Los Angeles so my brother-in-law could say he has seen the legendary intersection of Hollywood and Vine.

We got home and collapsed in bed, eager to get as much sleep as possible, because the busyness began again on Sunday morning...

We had to be up early for Awesome Girl's volleyball tournament, which meant missing church.  Neither the Apple of my Eye, or myself, are proponents of that, but fortunately very few of her tournaments are on Sundays.  And we are fortunate that our church has a mid-week service, so we won't have to wait an entire week before we can go again.

From volleyball we went straight to a friend's house to watch the Super Bowl.  Awesome Girl had to change in the car, our schedule was so tight.  Watched the game, ate some great food, and enjoyed getting together with friends for a few hours.  From there we drove the 30 minutes to my parents' house to have dessert and play some cards.  We wanted to squeeze in as much time as we could with my sister and her husband, before they had to fly home the next day.

Everything we did this past weekend was fun.  It was all something we were looking forward to, and it was all the result of blessings from the Lord ~ the blessings of family, good health, and the freedom to choose how we spend our days.  

But you know what?  I think it was too much.  As much as I wanted to do all of it, I did not want to do all of it on the same weekend.  When I was at one thing, I was thinking about another.  Worried about the drive, wondering if we'd be late, do we have everything we need, since we're not going to be home again until tonight, hoping the dog was okay at home alone, and wishing I could just be enjoying each thing more.  I was wishing I could focus

So I'm thinking today about focus.  About one thing at a time.  And I'm knowing that most of the time, distracted is what God gets from me.   And it's not even just that when I'm praying, I start thinking about what's for dinner.  I think God understands that, and waits for my mind to come back to Him.  But sometimes, physically, I'm not even entirely with Him.  By that I mean, listening to Scripture online, but doing dishes at the same time.  It's efficient, but how effective is it?  Or reading the Bible while filing my nails or folding laundry.  What exactly is my goal there??

Multi-tasking long ago lost its allure for me.  More and more I want to do one thing thoroughly.  I always encourage my kids to be themselves in any situation, telling them: "Be who you are."  I think my new reminder to myself needs to be:  "Be where you are."  The benefit, and the enjoyment will be purer.  And I know He'll make sure I still get the laundry folded...

~ "Jesus answered and said to her, 
'Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled 
about many things.  
But one thing is needed, 
and Mary has chosen that good part, 
which will not be taken from her' " ~
Luke 10:41-42

No comments:

Post a Comment