Monday, February 27, 2012

Here at the wall

"the sparrow has found a home"
Psalm 84:3


I know these pictures can be small, but can you tell what that is?  It's a wall.  And not a very well-built one.

Well, actually, I shouldn't say that.  It's well-built, in that it's still standing after many years, but it's sloppily done.  The mortar was not troweled as the wall was built, it was just left to ooze out between the bricks.  Now, years later, part of it has fallen off and there are a few holes in between bricks.  It's not very attractive.

Well, actually, I shouldn't say that.  It's aesthetically pleasing, in a historic way.  But it's not sleek and beautiful.  I would also not use the words "inviting" or "hospitable" to describe it.

And yet.... here's the whole picture:


My Awesome Girl took this picture when we were in San Antonio, Texas, last year.  This was near the Alamo.  So I don't know how old it is, but it could be as much as a hundred years.

It looked like the last place a bird would want to hang out, but there were dozens of them on that wall.  So clearly it held some appeal for them.  They found something they need there.  A perch.  Safety.  Height.  God provided for them, and they accepted the place He provided.


I've always loved the phrase "bloom where you're planted".  It's not Biblical, per se, but the sentiment is.  Where God has you, and what He has for you, is part of His plan.  Accept it.  Enjoy it.  Sometimes ~ or maybe often ~ we want something that looks like what we think it should look like.   But really, what do I know about where I should be?  After all, I wouldn't have chosen that wall as a resting place for those sparrows.  But they liked it there.  So if they can trust Him, of course I can, too.  After all, as the old hymn says, "His eye is on the sparrow, so I know He watches me."


~ " 'I will put My Spirit in you, 
and you shall live, 
and I will place you in your own land.  
Then you shall know 
that I, the Lord, have spoken it 
and performed it,' says the Lord." ~
Ezekiel 37:14

No comments:

Post a Comment