Thursday, February 9, 2012

One for all, and all for one

"Do unto others"
Luke 6:31

My Awesome Girl made me dinner the other night.  An omelet.  It was awesome.  Perfectly cooked.  Omelets are such great meals ~ quick and easy, and perfect for any time of day.  They've got protein, and the vegetable-y benefit of whatever you add.  I love mine with zucchini and tomato, with a sprinkling of flax seed, for its crunchy Omega-3 benefits, and a slight shredding of extra-sharp cheddar cheese.  And just a dollop of sour cream on top, because everything tastes better with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Well, almost everything. 

Some things taste better with a dollop of whipped cream on top. 

And how much fun is the word "dollop"?

I'm sorry; what were we talking about?  Oh, right, the omelet.  Well, the reason my girl made me dinner was because the boys were out.  Amazing Boy had baseball practice that night.  The Apple of my Eye is the Assistant Coach for the team, but the Head Coach was out of town, so my guy was running the practice.  He helps coach baseball partly because he loves baseball, but mostly because he loves our Amazing Boy.  Coaching is such a wonderful way for him to spend time with his son, encouraging him, teaching him, and also offering his wisdom and support to the other boys on the team.  He has a lot of gifts, and he was out that night sharing them; doing something for someone else. 

So why didn't I make dinner?  Well I was working on a project.  It was something that the Apple of my Eye needed, and I only had a few days in which to do it.  He could have done it, but he's been so busy lately with work, and the Bible Study he teaches, and coaching, and fathering, and husbanding (which is different from husbandry...)  So I volunteered to do this project for him.  I didn't mind.  It was simple, and I was happy to be doing something for him, since he does so much for us. 

So while I sat in the living room working, my Awesome Girl was making me dinner.  I didn't ask; she offered.  She does that frequently.  She appreciates what I do around the house, so sometimes she just decides she's going to do something for me.  And no matter how much I say, "No, it's okay, I can do it" she won't be deterred. 

So there she was, doing something for me, while I did something for the Apple of my Eye, while he did something for Amazing Boy.  It was like a beautiful domino effect of kindness for each other.  It was wonderful.

Jesus never said, "Do unto others while they do unto someone else."  But I think He was smiling...

~ "By this all men will know 
     that you are My disciples, 
       if you love one another" ~
John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment