Sunday, February 19, 2012

Yet Another Lesson from my Dog

"eat what is good"
Isaiah 55:2

I cleaned off the counter in the garage yesterday.  Matched up a few socks that had been pining for their mates.  Straightened up the canned goods that make up our surplus pantry.  Uncovered and returned to their owners a few stray items that had accumulated, like baseball cards, pigtail holders, some loose change... Well, who are we kidding; I pocketed the loose change.

I also came across some pieces of dry cat food on the counter, apparently spilled the last time someone refilled the small container we keep in the house, from the big bag we keep in the garage.

I tossed these on the garage floor, and our dog, who was already nearby (doting pet that she is) came running.  Although she couldn't have known what I dropped on the floor, I'm pretty sure her mouth was open even before she got to the food, and she had swallowed it before you could say, "Careful, don't eat that dust bunny!"


Because frankly, our dog, like most dogs, is not that discriminating.  She'll eat almost anything edible ~ food, stuff might be confused with food, stuff that used to be food....  And she'll eat it from anywhere ~ out of her dog bowl, out of any bowl, off the floor, out of the trashcan... If she can reach it, she considers it fair game.


And I think that's sort of sad.  She's content with dusty and dirty and dregs and trash and things that aren't even fit to eat.


Are you?

I don't mean that you eat like that.  If you own or have access to a computer, then you must have a standard of living above that, praise God! 

I'm talking about the life you're living.  We are very, very precious to God, and He wants to bless us with a life of abundance.  After all, He led the Israelites to the Promised Land; a land of milk and honey.

Now, I'm not necessarily talking about material things.  There's nothing wrong with money, and God blesses some of His children with wealth, but that's not really what I mean.  He wants for us a life of peace, and joy and love and wisdom.  He is the source of all of those, so there's no heavenly reason not to have them in abundance.  But the world is full of distractions.  Things we wish we have, that take our minds off the things we can have.  

I think this calls for prayer on your part.  And on mine.  We need to ask Him to open our eyes to all that He offers, and we need to not settle for less ~ like entertainment or friends or pursuits that drag us down and take our minds off of Him.  After all, if He is the source of abundance, why would we expect to find it anywhere else?

~ "I have come that they may have life, 
   and that they may have it more abundantly" ~
John 10:10

No comments:

Post a Comment