Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just don't call me late for dinner...

"old things have passed away"
2 Corinthians 5:17

Have you ever thought about how many people in the Bible had their name changed?  Like Abram to Abraham.  And his wife Sarai to Sarah.  Jacob became Israel, and Saul became Paul, although that wasn't really a name change so much as a change in the way Scripture refers to him. 

What if we did that today?  What if, at a crossroads or milestone in your life, you changed your name to reflect that.  The lines at the Social Security and Department of Motor Vehicles offices would be crazy.... You'd constantly have to be reintroducing yourself to old friends.

Women, of course, adapt a new last name when they get married, but I wonder how often that's more a legal thing than an acknowledgement of a new identity on the inside.  And I guess a man doesn't really ever change his name.  Oh sure, there have been a few athletes who have, for religious or.... I guess publicity, reasons.  But a name change to signify a change in your spiritual status, is rare.

But I'm not the same person I used to be, are you?  And not just because I got married.  I'm not even the same person I was a week ago.  That's my whole goal in going to church and studying the Bible, to change and grow, and be better than I was before.  So not only could I have changed my name when I gave my life to Jesus Christ, but I could have changed my name dozens of times after that.  Any time I went through a trial, or experienced a miracle that gave me new insight into His wisdom, or love, or glory, I was a person changed. 

A name change is a lot of work, but it does help insure there's no going back.  After all, I can't imagine Abraham saying to his friends and family, "It's okay, you can just keep calling me Abram if it's easier."  The old is gone.  Every day and every week and every month and every year, you and I are on a journey of completion, and there is constantly reason to celebrate our progress, and who we no longer are. 

It might be hard for the people around you to tell; after all you might look the same, and you haven't changed your name ~ but God knows the difference!

~ "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation!" ~
2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment