Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Something to talk about...

"the Lord listened and heard them"
Malachi 3:16

Do you have any friends that are talkers?  Verbose?  Chatty Cathy-types?  They're everywhere.  Despite the fact that there are twice as many ears as there are mouths in the world, I think the talkers outnumber the listeners.  Listening is hard.   It requires thinking about someone else.  And that's hard for even the best of us. {Not that I'm one of the best of us.  I'm just one of us.}

I chatted with one of my "talky" friends last week.  We had about a 20 minute conversation, about 17 minutes' worth of her talking.  Which I've come to accept.  That's just how she is.  I'm pretty sure that there are other relationships in my life wherein I do most of the talking, so it all works out.

Now, think about it from God's standpoint.  How much must He love His children who are talkers! He loves us so much, and prayer, after all, was His idea!  Is it even possible to talk too much, to Someone who loves the sound of your voice ~ because after all, He created the sound of your voice.  Is it possible to bore Someone who loves you so much He sent His Son to die for you?

And here's my favorite verse on the subject:  Psalm 105:2 ~ "Sing to Him; sing psalms to Him; Talk of all His wondrous works!"  The reason I love this one so much is because the command to talk comes right after two commands telling us to sing to Him.  I have no choice but to believe that the next one ~ talk ~ means to Him, too.  In other words, "Talk to Him of all His wondrous works!"  That, my friends, is praise.   Talk to Him.  Muse, communicate, speak, complain, ponder, sing, praise.  To Him.  There's no such thing as too much.


 ~ "Then you will call upon Me 
and go and pray to Me, 
  and I will listen to you" ~
Jeremiah 29:12

No comments:

Post a Comment