Friday, February 8, 2013

Amazing and Awesome Promises

"train up a child in the way he should go"
Proverbs 22:6

Are you a parent?  I'm a mom, but if you've read very many of these posts, that's probably apparent.

Get it??  Apparent?

lol.... I must be in a jovial mood today.  Come along for the ride, won't you?

If you are a parent, then you know that your children can be the source of your greatest joys, and your deepest sorrows. We take pride in their successes (the good kind of pride) and we ache in their trials.

Isaiah 65 is a chapter of promise.  Well, it starts off kinda scary.  I mean, the scary stuff is a promise, too, but it's the kind of promise that is designed to get us in line with His Word and His will.

But then a few verses in, it turns wonderful.  The kind of promises that are lofty and glorious and sweet and comforting for us to claim.  There are verses like:  "Behold, I create a new heavens and a new earth..." and "I will rejoice in Jerusalem and joy in My people..." and "The wolf and the lamb shall feed together..." (verses 17, 18 and 25)

But the verses I love most are 21-23.  "They shall build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat the fruit of them."  This was such a beautiful promise for the children of God, who, in their history, had much of the fruit of their labors stolen by the nations that held them captive. 

"They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat... Mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands."  See above. 

But here's the best; verse 23 ~ "They shall not labor in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the Lord, and their offspring with them."

I love that verse because I love the simplicity of that first promise ~ not to labor in vain.  That is the essence of contentment:  being able to appreciate the work of your hands.

And then the second part:  "nor bring forth for trouble".  That part means having children.  It means not having children that are trouble.  Isn't that a wonderful promise?  Raising children is a lot of work; what a joy to have the promise that your children will be a blessing!  I love the idea that as a parent, I will "long enjoy the work of my hands", because my children are the work of my hands.

my children... and the work of their hands

There's just nothing better than seeing God's promises in my life.

~ "I have no greater joy 
than to hear that my children walk in truth" ~
3 John 1:4
~

No comments:

Post a Comment