Friday, February 22, 2013

What's that up ahead?

"There is hope in your future,
says the Lord"
Jeremiah 31:17

Okay, you're going to have to work to visualize with me today.  I don't have a picture of what I'm going to describe to you, and frankly, if I did, there wouldn't be a post here at all, because this is a post about not knowing, and if I had a picture, I'd probably know. 

Seriously, if you couldn't keep up with me in that sentence, then you're not going to be able to hang with me in this visualization, so are you ready?

Okay, there's a street near my house ~ a fairly busy one.  It's the road that leads to the nearest supermarket-anchored strip mall, and City Hall and the library and Trader Joe's, and if you travel down it for a few miles, it'll lead you to the nearest mall. 

At a certain point, before I get to the Trader Joe's, I generally have to stop at a light.  And from that position, I can see down the street, maybe a half a mile or so, before the street curves slightly, and out of sight.  There is a good amount of trees along the road ~ our city is great that way.   We are a National Arbor Day Foundation's Tree City USA  :)

Anyhow, off in the distance, seemingly right where the road curves, there's a.... something.  From my angle, it looks like an overpass or bridge crossing over the street.  But I know there's no such thing down there.  It's some sort of optical illusion, really, because I can't even be sure if it's a half-mile away, or several miles off in the distance. 

You still with me? 

But here's the frustrating thing:  I have no idea what it is, because by the time I drive down to wherever this whatever is, I have forgotten to look.  My mind has moved on, or I'm chatting with whichever Amazing or Awesome child is with me, or I'm thinking about what I need at Trader Joe's or whatever.  Whatever the reason, by the time I arrive at what was ahead of me, I'm no longer paying attention. 

And that's today's lesson: when the future becomes the present, and you forget that it used to be the future. 

It occurred to me today that so often, I am worried about something in the future ~ finances, schedule, problem resolution... And then by the time the issue comes, God has worked it out, and I forget I was ever worried about it.  Which means I don't acknowledge at all, that God took care of it, or helped me prepare for it, or made it easier for me.  I'm missing a lot of opportunities to thank Him for His work in my life.

It's wrong of me to be anxious about the future, but it's even worse for me not to be at peace in the present, and joyful about the past. 

~ "Oh, that men would give thanks
to the Lord for His goodness,
and for His wonderful works
to the children of men!" ~
Psalm 107:21
~

No comments:

Post a Comment