Saturday, February 9, 2013

Are you who you think you are?

"who are you?"
Ruth 3:9

One of the things that's fun about the after-Christmas season is enjoying my new presents.  Just yesterday I wore one of my new sweaters, and as I go about daily life, there are new joys.  Maybe a new piece of jewelry, or something pretty in the house.  I've enjoyed sipping my new hot chocolate while watching the movies the kids got for Christmas, or reading a book I had been wanting.

But to be totally honest, I got a gift that rather surprised me this Christmas.  Something I hadn't asked for, and wasn't expecting.  Now, that happens a lot.  People go shopping, and they see something, and they think, "I'll bet she'd like that."  I do that myself for people in my life.

In fact, I found a wonderful antique store near my house this past Christmas, and I had a great time looking around in there.  I knew that anything I found wouldn't be the same kind of stuff I could find in a hundred chain stores in my area.  And I know that no one in my life is going to ask for something from that store, because they don't know the store, and they don't know what's in it.  So the shopping I did there was all based on being inspired by something that I thought someone would love.  And I found a few things I was so excited about giving.  They seemed perfect for the recipient.

But it's possible, that when the recipient got it, they thought, "Why in the world....?  Did she really think I'd like this?"

I hope they didn't think that.  But it's possible.   I know it's possible because I thought it about one of my gifts.  {Note to my loved ones:  no, I'm not going to reveal the gift or the giver.  I'm sincerely grateful for all of your thoughtful gifts!  :) }

Who others think we are...  Who we think we are...  Who He thinks we are.   I think they're generally three different things.  Course, who He thinks we are is who we really are.   He's smart that way.

So.... a few thoughts on those three scenarios...

Regarding #1:  Clearly, some people are wrong when they think they see who we are.  But that doesn't mean there's nothing something valuable in finding out what they think.   In the case of my Christmas gift, I decided I would venture to be the kind of person who would appreciate that gift.   For instance, being someone curious enough to read that book, or fun enough to enjoy that game, or bold enough to wear that eye-catching top.  If someone who loves me thought I would enjoy that, then why wouldn't I endeavor to enjoy it?  Sometimes, who someone else thinks you are, is better than who you are.

Regarding #2:  Have you ever said about some personal characteristic, "that's just who I am."  Well, if you're using that as a defense of some bad habit in your life, then you're right.  That's you.  And by that I mean:  that's not Him in you.  Sometimes we simply don't see the things in ourselves that He'd like to change.  Other times we see them, and we feel bad about them, but not bad enough to take the steps to make the change.   Sometimes, who we think we are, is not who we have to be.  And not what we should be.

Regarding #3:  No one knows us like He does.  Who He thinks we are is who we are.  Who He wants us to be, is who we can be.

So, who are you?

~ "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
old things have passed away;
behold, all things have become new" ~
2 Corinthians 5:17
~

No comments:

Post a Comment