Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sew What?

"a time to sew"
Ecclesiastes 3:7

So my mother has taken up quilting.  Finally.

I say that tongue-in-cheek of course, but it's based in truth.  She has been interested in quilting for years ~ buying a few books, doing a few small projects like place mats, etc.  But her life was simply too busy ~ work, etc ~ to take on a bigger project.

But just recently, she finished what I think is her first full-size (twin bed) quilt.  And it's beautiful.


And because she's now able to devote more of her time to it, she has gotten out the books she bought years ago, and magazine articles she has been holding on to.

We were over at their house the other day, and I leafed through a couple of the magazines, and found myself looking at quilts in a whole new way.

I have always loved quilts.  I read a book several years ago on how quilts were displayed on clotheslines and the railings of front porches, in such a way as to guide slaves along the Underground Railroad, in the American South.  Isn't that fascinating?

But frankly it's hard not to love quilts, isn't it?  So many styles; so many colors... Something for everyone.

But that's the thing that got me thinking:  all the styles. 

There's this style, with a picture instead of just a geometric design...


And this one.  I love the delicacy of this design...


But I'm not so fond of this design.  I'm not crazy about the excess of stitching...


I guess I just feel that the stitching is unnecessary, except where it's needed to attach fabric, not just for design purposes.


But that's just me.

But what I realized was that I wasn't looking at the quilts just for their looks.  I found myself looking at them with an eye as to how difficult they would be to sew.

Like this puppy.... how much work would this be, with all those tiny pieces?


And this one.  I love the colors, but so much work!


I think that seeing that beautiful quilt that my mom made me think about the possibility of me one day sewing a quilt, and that made me realize how much work that might be.  Suddenly quilts seem more about the process, and not just about the finished product.

How often has someone done something for me, or made something for me, or bought something for me, without my giving any thought to the time, effort, or money that might have been involved.  I mean, I might be thoroughly appreciating the item, or the gesture, without realizing I could be appreciating it even more, if I pondered its depth.

And unexpectedly, I'm feeling the urge to read the gospels, and see my Savior's words, and deeds, and sacrifice, in this new light.

Not a bad focus during the Easter season, eh?


~ "Therefore, my beloved brethren,
be steadfast, immovable,
always abounding in the work of the Lord,
knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord" ~
1 Corinthians 15:58
~

2 comments:

  1. A very good, colorful, interesting, and thought-provoking post.

    There is a French woman who lives a few miles from me who has published three posts recently of some of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. You can check them out by clicking here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was fun and very interesting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete