Monday, April 14, 2014

Peace is in the details. Or lack thereof.

"not knowing what had happened"
Acts 5:7

We had movie night at our house the other night.  Nobody had practice to attend, nobody had any games that night, nobody had any obligation to be anywhere.  So we made dinner and ate in the living room, as we enjoyed a movie together.

We had a little trouble narrowing it down, but when the Apple of my Eye picked a number between 1 and 5, the movie he had selected was "Apollo 13".  One of my favorites.  And I haven't seen it in years, so it was fun to watch it again.

I first saw the movie in the theater, and for the most part, did not know what to expect.  I was a wee babe when the events actually happened, so I was pretty much watching it play out for the first time.  I was anxious and confused and elated, and all those things a movie is supposed to make you feel.

And what makes it such a great movie, is that I still feel those things, every time I see it.  I mean, I'm less confused now, because I understand the technical stuff better.  I've read Jim Lovell's book, "Lost Moon," and there are some great details that add amazing depth to the movie.

And yet, though I now know what to expect, my heart still races at certain points, even though I know they're going to make it.  I feel the same anxiety when watching something like the movie "Lincoln".  I find myself hoping that what I know is going to happen, won't happen.

Anxiety is not of God.  Trust is what God wants for us.  And peace.  And yet life provides us with plenty of opportunities to worry.  Sometimes it's because we don't know what to expect.  And sometimes it's because we know exactly what's coming.

But the important thing to remember is that He knows.  He has a plan for each of those He has called, and we can rest in knowing that nothing is accidental.  Nothing is unexpected. 

The world will tell us that there are plenty of reasons to be worried.  But we only need one reason not to be. 

~ "As for God, His way is perfect;
The word of the Lord is proven;
He is a shield to all who trust in Him" ~
2 Samuel 22:31
~

No comments:

Post a Comment