Thursday, June 12, 2014

Not your usual "thanks-giving" birds

"every good and perfect gift"
James 1:17

So this is how my priorities have shifted this week... every morning when I get up, one of the first things I do is head to the dining room, and look out the window to see how our momma and baby hummingbirds are doing.

The two little ones are getting just a little bigger every day; we can actually see them poking their little beaks above the surface of the nest.  But we've still got the ladder near the tree, so once a day I climb up and peek into the nest while the momma is gone.  Today I actually saw a tiny wing.  Up until now they've just looked like tiny fuzzy blobs.  You can't even see the beaks, for the most part, cuz they're tucked under.  I'm tellin' ya, these creatures barely fit in that thing!


It's also funny to just sit and watch the momma sitting on the next.  There is so much movement underneath her, as she keeps getting jostled by her babies. 

The kids and I are enjoying having this little nature show so close to our home, and I love imagining that God is enjoying our enjoyment.  You know how you feel when your kids are over-the-top pleased with something you've given them, or done for them?  I think God loves sharing beauty and joy and miracles with us.  I was thinking that about the snorkeling I talked about yesterday, too.  I think He loved sharing that with me.

I often think about God as Creator when I'm appreciating something He created.  But it's fun to think about Him as Abba in those times... as a loving and giving Father, who daily gives us reasons to smile, and be grateful.

~ "The hand of the Lord has done this,
And the Holy One of Israel has created it" ~
Isaiah 41:20
~

No comments:

Post a Comment