Saturday, June 28, 2014

Lifelong Learning

"of many books there is no end"
Ecclesiastes 12:12

I think I mentioned that I bought some schoolbooks last week.  I'm looking ahead to next year's schooling, organizing and planning.  I also need to pack away the books that my daughter used, until my son is ready for them, and find a good home for the books my son is done with.

Suffice to say, there are books all over my house.

There's a stack by my desk, that I need to go through, and evaluate.  There's a box already packed up in the garage, and two half-filled boxes in the family room.  Then there are two stacks in the garage, going to two different homes. 

But the thing I keep thinking about as I look ahead is the very strong awareness that my daughter will be a senior next year, and I'm running out of time.  Always, in the past, I  knew that anything that didn't get fully taught, I could spill over to the following year.  Or if I thought there was anything she was not quite ready for, I could choose to push it a little farther off.

I don't have that option anymore. 

I want to fill this next year with as much educating as I can, but I know, when it's all said and done, there will still be things I want to teach her.  I love learning, and there's so much I think is important for my kids to know, and I'm afraid if I don't tell them, they won't ever learn it.

That's silly, of course.  She will go on to college, and her learning will continue, both in class and out.  Life is learning, if you are teachable, and she is. 

Some things she'll learn from her teachers in college.  Other things she'll learn on her own, as life teaches her.  Some things she'll never learn.  And maybe that's how it's meant to be.  We can't know everything, and if I believe that God is involved in our lives, then He's involved in what we learn, too.

He's responsible for everything she will learn once she leaves my care.  But that's okay... He's been responsible for it all along. 

~ "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, 
  and you will find rest for your soul" ~
Matthew 11:29
~

No comments:

Post a Comment