Sunday, June 22, 2014

I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future

"Write these words..."
Exodus 34:27

Okay, this one's gonna be a little confusing, so stick with me...

I'm going to have a new job come Autumn.  Well, not a paying job, but a wonderful writing job, with the Bible Study organization I've been involved with for 14 years.  It's an international group, and I get to be a part of putting together teaching materials for the children enrolled in the program.  It's an exciting opportunity for me to study the Bible, grow as a writer, and help others study the Bible. 

I don't start until September, and I haven't met anyone else on the team.  I've only had phone and email conversations with a few of them.  So I'm eager to meet them and get to know the women I'll be working with.

I also don't entirely know what the work will consist of.  How many hours a week will I be working?  What book of the Bible will I be working on?  What aspects of the job will be hard for me, and what parts will be a breeze for me?  I have no idea what I don't know.  And yet I'm excited.

The way this whole opportunity came about was sort of unexpected, too.  My friend J found out from K that they had an opening on the team, and J recommended me.  Then K talked to the director of my class, who apparently seconded the recommendation, and some days of prayer later, it was a done deal.   That all happened about a month ago.

Now, last week, my friend J had occasion to speak with Y, another lady on the team.  Afterward, when I was chatting with J, she said to me, "Y is so excited to have you on the team!"  It was sweet of her to say, but all I could think was, "Why in the world would she be excited??"  I've never met Y, and I don't know that she knows anything about me.  And even if she does, it can't be much.  Plus, I live in California, K lives in Texas and Y lives in Colorado.  Other than being involved in the same organization, we don't have much to go on as far as knowing each other. 

And frankly, I honestly don't think I'm much to be excited about.  I'm just me.  Flaws and weaknesses and whatnot, galore.

But immediately after wondering why Y would be excited about little old me, I realized that I'm excited about being on the team, even though there's so much I don't know.  And it occurred to me that that's what faith is.  It's not just the knowledge that God holds the future in His hands, but that what He's got in mind is exciting and wonderful

It's a great outlook on life.  Tomorrow, next week, and ~ yes, September ~ all hold exciting things for me.  It makes me eager for for every bit of what the Lord has planned for me, because all I have to do is trust Him.

~ "Behold, this is the joy of His way" ~
Job 8:19
~

No comments:

Post a Comment