Sunday, June 8, 2014

Right in my own backyard

"eyewitnesses of His majesty"
2 Peter 1:16-18

How's that for a verse?  "Eyewitnesses of His majesty..."  I came across those words several weeks ago, in our study of 2 Peter, and they've just been bubbling in my head ever since. 

Peter was referring to Jesus' transfiguration in this passage, saying,  
"we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.  For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.'  And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain."

It was an amazing experience, truly, for Peter, James and John.  But those particular words of Peter sort of stuck in my craw.  How can you see majesty?  I mean, yes, Jesus' appearance was drastically altered that day.  Matthew 17 says His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light.  It sounds glorious.  But is that majesty?  My dictionary says that majesty is impressive stateliness or dignity; or power.  But if I see someone who is dignified, I'm really, literally, still seeing a person, you know?  I know, I'm being very literal, but I like to do that.  Sometimes parsing the words of Scripture are my way of meditating on them.

From there my wondering went to, "What chance do you, or I, have to see this majesty?"  I mean, not even all of the disciples were invited to the mountain to see what Peter, James and John saw.  I have to imagine that only if Jesus returns to earth in my lifetime, might I see something so glorious and wonderful. 

And then this weekend... Friday morning I was out in the side yard, cleaning up the leaves, and the half-ripe apples that have started to fall from our apple tree.  I looked up, and saw a hummingbird nest in our tree.  I pointed it out to my son, and then got my daughter, and then went and got the ladder so we could see it better.  And when we did, lo and behold, two tiny, fuzzy beings were sleeping in that nest. 


I stopped cleaning the backyard, and we went back into the house to give them their privacy, and later that day, when we looked out the window, the momma was back where she belonged.


Several times yesterday, I felt compelled to look out the window again.  It's such a pleasant view already, under our apple tree, but now even more so.

And this morning, when I got up, I peeked out again to see how she was doing.  I'd been pondering the idea of God's majesty again, and when I looked out the window and saw that tiny, perfect creature, carefully snuggling her even tinier, just as perfect babies, I thought:  There it is.


I don't have the privilege of walking with Jesus, as His disciples did.  And He didn't invite me to the Mount of Transfiguration.  But His majesty takes many different forms.  He is perfect in His power and might, and in His delicate hand of creation.  And if we look, we can see evidence of His glory and majesty, all around us. 

~ "All the birds of the heavens 
made their nests in its boughs;
Under its branches all the beasts of the field 
 brought forth their young;
      And in its shadow all great nations made their home." ~
Ezekiel 31:6
~

No comments:

Post a Comment