Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Big God, Big Love

"who am I?"
2 Samuel 7:18

When's the last time you thanked God for all He has done for you?  When's the last time you thanked Him for all He is?  Or for all He's going to do? 

Without knowing when was the last time for you, I submit to you that it's time.  You need to praise Him.

Now, there are times when we're face-to-face with the stuff of life:  laundry, bills, a demanding boss, a feeling of listlessness... it can be hard to genuinely feel thanks for Him. 

But then there are times, we're just too busy thinking about ourselves to think about Him.

So I think maybe we gotta make it happen.  We have to get ourselves to a place of appreciation, to a state of mind when we can honestly praise Him.

2 Samuel 7 has a beautiful example for us, from the Bible's most famous psalmist.  David's humble, overflowing, over-the-top, yet entirely appropriate praise to God. 

"Who am I?  What is my house that You have brought me thus far?  And yet, what You have done for me is nothing, compared to what You will do.  What can I say to You?  Because of Your heart, you have done these things."

"Therefore ~ because of this ~ because I know what I know," David was saying, "I know that You are great, Lord God.  There is none like You, nor any god beside You."

"And who are we, Your people, that You have made us Yours, and You have become ours..."

When is the last time you felt like that?  Awed and overwhelmed and almost frightened by the force of His love for you? 

If you can't remember, then I suggest you go someplace and think about His love for you for as long as it takes.



Go someplace where the trees tower above you, and draw your attention upward.












Go where the mountains remind you of a power you cannot comprehend.





Go where there's nothing between you and the immensity of the ocean He created with a word. 






Go someplace where you can see the sky stretching high above you, and as far as your eyes can see.





Go, and think about God until you feel small, or your heart starts to pound, or you feel like crying.  Then praise Him as David did.

"You are God, and Your words are true.
You have promised goodness to Your servant;
let it please You
to bless the house of Your servant
that it may continue before you forever,
for You, O Lord, have spoken it."
2 Samuel 7:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment