Friday, June 15, 2012

Just one foot in front of the other

"you shall teach them"
Exodus 18:20

Saw something cute out my window today.   A father teaching his two kids to roller skate.  They both looked to be in the 4-5 year old range; a boy and a girl.  The father had his skates on, too, and he would skate with one of them between his legs, with him bending down around them so that they were almost completely enveloped by him.  And he was doing all the skating, all they had to do was have skates on their feet, and have them pointed in the right direction. 

And while he was working with one, the other one would be trying to “solo”.  They weren’t so much skating as that walking/rolling thing one does when unsure of themselves.  But they made a little progress while dad worked with their sibling.  Then, in a few minutes, they’d switch.  Each one got some time with dad, then some time to see if they could improve on what they’d accomplished already. 

It’s hard for a dad in that situation sometimes.  Bending over can be tiring.  Improvement can be minimal or at the very least, hard to see.  Patience can be elusive when skills take time to learn.  That’s why it’s got to be someone you love, doing the teaching.  Who better than a dad?

The other thing I thought about was the fact that the kids were wearing helmets.  A helmet, on a small body, can seem huge.  It’s simply a larger percentage of a child’s body weight than it is an adult’s.  It can be uncomfortable, and hot, and even distracting as they try to learn.  And I wondered if those children fought it when their dad told them they had to wear helmets for roller skating.  Were they willing, or did they balk?  Did he have to say to them, “If you don’t wear the helmet, you’re not going skating with me.”  With my kids, that would have been enough.  Time with dad was ~ and still is ~ worth it. 

A good dad ~ as in this case ~ is a wonderful earthly example of God.  Loving, teaching, protecting.  Exciting things happen when Dad says “let’s go!”  I love that about God.  When I step out into adventure with Him, it’s exciting.  I’m going to learn, I’m going to laugh, I’m going to experience something new…. I might fall down and skin my knee, but if I’ve been obedient, I won’t be hurt badly, because I’ll have had my helmet ~ my armor ~ on.  Because He knows what can happen if I don’t. 

And He never asks me to step out of His reach.  Sometimes I’m wrapped up in Him, completely protected, and feeling that.  Other times He asks me to feel as if I’m stepping out on my own ~ courageously, if a little fearfully.  But I’m never out of sight, and I’m never out of reach.  

~ "In the fear of the Lord
 there is strong confidence,
and His children will have a place of refuge" ~
Proverbs 14:26

No comments:

Post a Comment