Monday, June 11, 2012

But I'm sorry that there's no trophy

"character produces hope"
Romans 5:4

Winning isn't everything.

I know, but it's really not.

Have you ever heard the expression "nice guys finish last"?  That was Leo Durocher, the Los Angeles Dodgers manager from 1939-1946, that said that.  Only that's not really what he said.  He was summing up the 1946 New York Giants and their chances for that season.  And what he said was, "Nice guys.  Finish last."  He never meant that the two were connected.  But somewhere along the line that expression changed to "nice guys finish last" and has been echoed by fans and coaches to state the belief that you can only win by being tough, and you can only be tough if you're mean.

Both my kids' sports have now ended for the summer, and while I'm pleased with how my kids both did, they had seasons where they lost a lot of games they shouldn't have.

They were both on good teams, but with enough mistakes, and enough lucky breaks for the other teams, we lost games we should have won.  Which is frustrating.

The girls on the volleyball team, and the boys on the baseball team knew they were good teams, which made it even more frustrating for them.

But ~ and here's why I know it's true that winning isn't everything ~ I saw both my kids shine during these discouraging times.  I saw hugs and words of encouragement.  I saw perseverance and courage and obedience to coaches.  

I saw growth of character.  I know my kids hate that.  They hate it when I remind them that anything that doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  But they can't argue with me, because it's biblical:

We glory in tribulations, 
knowing that tribulation produces perseverance, 
and perseverance, character, 
and character hope.  
(Romans 5:3-5)

It also produces a Momma's pride.

~ "I have no greater joy 
  than to hear that my children walk in truth" ~
3 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment