Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lessons from my dog

"be anxious for nothing"
Philippians 4:6

We're moving furniture at our house.  My Awesome Girl got an itch to rearrange her room and repaint, so we're switching a couple pieces of her bedroom furniture, with that of my Amazing Boy.  She's had to take everything off her bookshelves and out of her drawers to move those two pieces.  They both have furniture in the middle of their rooms, while we reposition, and vacuum, and see what works better where.

And to be honest, I think it's making the dog a little anxious.

It doesn't help that we just got back from vacation.  I know it's hard for her when we're gone.  So we're back, but our routine around the house is not quite "normal".  So she spent the whole day following me, and snuggling up to my feet when I sat down.  And when I was backing out of Awesome Girl's room, dragging a dresser with me, she kept trying to get in front of me, begging for attention.

Which, of course, I happily gave her.  'Cause she's furry and sweet and her eyes are so sincere.


Her instincts are good.  Where do you turn for comfort when your life is feeling unsettled?  What do you do to make yourself feel better?  Truth be told, I often turn on the TV.  I think my goal is to take my mind off of whatever's troubling me.  But that's not really what I should be doing.  Instead of trying not to think about my problem, I should think about it from His perspective.  I should find some Scripture to remind me that He's in control, and that I have no reason to be anxious.   I should get as near to Him as I can.  I should pray ~ not to try to keep myself in front of Him, but to keep Him in front of me.

Everything's better when we're with Him.

~ "you will find Him if you seek Him
with all your heart and with all your soul" ~
Deuteronomy 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment