Saturday, June 23, 2012

May I please see some ID?

"a servant of Christ Jesus,
called to be an apostle, 
and set apart for the gospel of God"
Romans 1:1

The book of Romans begins with Paul, writing to the church in Rome, introducing himself.  And I find his introduction interesting.

If I were writing a letter to introduce myself, I doubt I would begin this way.  Think about how we begin letters to people we have never met:

Hello, 
     You don't know me, but....

or

Dear Sir: 
     I recently purchased your product...

or

To Whom It May Concern:
     I am writing to inform you...

The opening sentence would be fairly formal.  I would tell information that pertains to the body of the letter; that introduces my reason for writing; or something about me that implies why they should care what I have to say.

Paul's introduction here was to a church.  So his Christianity was a pertinent opening to this letter.  So how would I begin a letter introducing myself to a fellow Christian?  Maybe something about how long I've been a Christian, or where I go to church.  But however I described myself, whatever pertinent information I gave, I don't think it would convey the same passion that Paul's opening statement does here.  There is very definite passion in Paul's description of himself.

For a long time, when I read Paul's epistles, I would practically skim the opening sentence, and even the closing sentence: "the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus be with you..." blah blah blah...  I'd be thinking, "get to the point of the letter!"

I can be pretty impatient...

But every word of the Bible is there for a reason.  So I decided to take a closer look at how Paul describes himself:   "A servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God"

It's not bragging about his exalted position in the kingdom; this is not about Paul's resume.  It is a humble offering of himself, and an honest realization of all that God has for him on earth. 

I, too, am all of these things.  I am a servant of Christ Jesus, repeatedly renewing my desire to serve Him.   I am called to be an apostle, a devoted and loyal follower of the Lord.  Some may be better at it, but none are more loyal!  And I am set apart for the gospel of God ~ consecrated for His use, for the furtherance of His kingdom.

I am both His servant and His heir; His daughter and His bride.  Who are you?

~ "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ 
be with you.
My love be with you all in Christ Jesus.
Amen." ~
1 Corinthians 16:23

No comments:

Post a Comment