Friday, July 27, 2012

Believe what you know

"Therefore you also
   be ready"
Luke 12:40

I was cold at church other day.  And it's not the first time...

Our church is generally well air-conditioned, even in the winter.  Which is not as bad as it sounds; we have mild winters... I guess our Pastor likes it cool, which I totally understand.  I've spoken in public before, and it can make one hot!  So the women in our church know to bring a jacket if they are the type to get cold.  I mean, don't get me wrong; it's not freezing, just cool.

But on top of that, the city that my church is in, is about five miles closer to the coast than where we live.  So mornings and evenings especially, can be 10 degrees cooler ~ or more ~ than home.  Wonderful ocean breezes, you know? 

So when we attend the mid-week service, during summer, I have to remember all this when I'm getting dressed to leave.  And it's really hard.  It might be in the high 80s outside, and I might be uncomfortably warm as I'm getting ready, but in an hour or so, I'm gonna want to have a jacket, or at least long sleeves.

But somehow, when I'm getting ready, I just find it so hard to believe that I'm going to be cold.   I think to myself, nah... you're exaggerating...  it's the middle of summer...  the evenings are balmy... short sleeves are fine... 

I know the truth.  And I try to tell myself the truth.  But I don't believe me, because it just seems too far-fetched.  I'm so warm at the time, I can't imagine things are going to change that much.  And I talk myself out of being prepared. 

Now seems so real, it's hard sometimes, to believe that the future is going to be what we know it's going to be. 

Have you read Revelation?  Then you know.  If you haven't, then read it.  And you'll know.  And be ready. 

"the day of the Lord will come
as a thief in the night..." 
2 Peter 3:10

"Watch, therefore, 
for you know neither the day nor the hour
 in which the Son of Man is coming..."
Matthew 25:13

"the Lord Himself will descend from heaven 
with a shout,
with the voice of an archangel, 
and with the trumpet of God..."
1 Thessalonians 4:16

Be ready.

~ "Therefore you also be ready, 
for the Son of Man is coming
    at an hour you do not expect" ~
Luke 12:40

No comments:

Post a Comment