Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Do you have your share?

"You know the word which the Lord said"
Joshua 14:6

Analyzing words in Scripture is one of my favorite ways of studying the Bible.  Finding out what words mean, and comparing how certain words are used in varying places is always kind of intriguing to me.

One word that's always been especially interesting to me is the word "portion".  It's used several times in Scripture, and usually it has the meaning of someone getting a part of something, as in "And whenever the time came for Elkanah to make an offering, he would give portions to Peninnah his wife and to all her sons and daughters.  But to Hannah he would give a double portion, for he loved Hannah." (1 Samuel 1:4-5)

But it's also used several times referring to God.  And one time referring to you and me.  And frankly, it's those usages that have had me pondering and wondering.  There aren't very many words that can be used to describe both God and us.  

For example:

"Oh Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup"~  Psalm 16:5
"God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" ~ Psalm 73:26
"You are my portion, O Lord" ~ Psalm 119:57
"The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I hope in Him" ~ Lamentations 3:24

He is our portion. 

"The Lord's portion is His people" ~ Deuteronomy 32:9

We are His portion. 

So how can this be?  How He be what we are, and we be what He is?

The word in the original language is cheleq, and it has several definitions, that I think explain how the word can be applied in such different ways.

In the first examples, it means share or inheritance, or an individual's lot.  A good example is in the book of Numbers, where God tells Aaron that he and his family ~ the priests ~ do not receive any land in Canaan.  Chapter 18, verse 20:  "You shall have no inheritance in the land, nor shall you have any portion among them; I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel."

He is what we need; what we deserve for our faith in Him.  He is our reward. 

In the the Deuteronomy usage, it uses the definition "possession" and more particularly, "a chosen possession". 

We are His chosen; His beloved. 

See?  Scripture may seem confusing at times, but with study, there's always an explanation. 

A beautiful explanation. 

~ "I am my beloved's,
     And my beloved is mine" ~
Song of Solomon 6:3

No comments:

Post a Comment