Monday, July 30, 2012

Taking sides

"choose for yourselves"
Joshua 24:15

There's been a big story in the news in the US the past several days.  A controversy.  Someone in the public eye who spoke out strongly about his Biblical beliefs, and was criticized for it.  Because not everyone agrees with him.  Which is basically because not everyone agrees with God.

That's okay, though.  God knows people are going to disagree with Him.  He knows He's still right. 

But when this gentleman spoke up, a few politicians spoke out.  And then a few celebrities.  And then Americans started getting on one side or the other and the issue was being discussed at workplaces and by friends meeting up at their local Ubiquitous Coffee House. 

I feel strongly about the issue, so I know which side of the debate I come down on.  And for the most part, I know what most politicians and politically outspoken celebrities believe.  After all, they're outspoken. 

But I was surprised, last week, to hear one celebrity take a side.  This was someone we normally don't hear from on political issues, but I guess he felt strongly enough about this issue to speak up.  And unfortunately, he does not believe what I believe.  I say it's unfortunate because this is an issue spoken of in the Bible, and he's not agreeing with the Bible.  But it's also unfortunate because I now know where he stands on this issue, and it's disappointing to me.  He was someone whose work I admire, and while he's still talented, I can't admire his judgement the same way.   He does not value God's word, and now I know.  And I wish I didn't...

Ignorance is bliss, but we are called to take a side.  And it's going to mean difficult choices.  If not now, then soon.  Matthew 25:32 says: "all nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats."  And regardless of who's on the other side, we need to be on His side. 

~ "Choose for yourselves this day
whom you will serve...
as for me and my house,
   we will serve the Lord" ~
Joshua 24:15

No comments:

Post a Comment