Friday, July 13, 2012

Schedule it in

"In the morning...
He went out...
and He prayed"
Mark 1:35

Are you a morning person?  If so, I admire you.  Mornings are so beautiful, so quiet and cool and peaceful... The earlier, the more so.

Or so I understand from those who've been there...

Me?  Not so much.  I really only get up early under duress.  And my idea of "early" is probably what you'd consider shameful... unless you subscribe to the same theory I do, in which case you'd think I'm perfectly logical.  Either way, I'm not going to tell you.  You can just imagine, and then judge me accordingly.

Or let's do this:  if you're an early riser, let's just say I get up a half an hour after you get up.  If you're a late riser, I get up a half hour earlier than you...

When I do get up, though, the first thing I do is turn on the TV.  It helps me to get my eyes open; helps me wake up.  Usually I turn on the news for a few minutes ~ not too long; it can be a depressing way to start your day.  Or I turn on a home improvement channel or ESPN.  To be honest, there's really not much on in the morning if you don't want news.  I mean, there's something on every channel, but unless you want to be told what's wrong with you, you probably aren't interested.

Because the most predominant thing on in the mornings, is infomercials.  And they're happy to tell you what's wrong with you, and how they can help you.

Honestly, they seem to be on 90% of the channels.  Makeup and skin care, hair care products, hair growth products, hair removal projects, exercise equipment, diet helps of various kinds.  If you want to be a better you, there's a product out there for you.  

I find this ironic when I think about what Scripture tells us Jesus did first thing in the morning.  He prayed.  

Now, doesn't that sound like a great way to improve yourself?
~ "stand every morning
to thank and praise the Lord,
and likewise at evening" ~
1 Chronicles 23:30

No comments:

Post a Comment