Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Growing in spite of weakness

"you have a little strength"
Revelation 3:8

My in-laws moved to Texas last year.  It's been fun for us to visit them and explore a part of the country that's new to us, but it's hard to suddenly live far away from family.

One thing that's made it a little easier ~ besides the wonder of instant communication, of course ~ is that my in-laws gave us several things before they left.  Just a few accessories and a few pieces of furniture that they decided were unnecessary, or not important enough for them to pack and move halfway across the country.   So we've got these little reminders all over our house.  Our bedspread, our kitchen table, some dishes.... all used to belong to them.

Some of my favorite new possessions, though, are my plants.  Rather than transporting them, my mother-in-law gave all her plants to her friends and neighbors ~ and me.  I love plants.  They don't always love me, however.... I've been to nurseries where the plants tried to scooch behind each other when they saw me coming.

Okay, not really....

And most of the plants are doing beautifully.  I think I've only lost one.  Okay, maybe two....  But the rest are doing beautifully.

They are some indoor and some outdoor plants, but the one that I think is my favorite is one of the outdoor plants.  It sits against a post, under our patio cover, and is visible from where I sit to do school with the kids, so I can see it all the time.  And, it flowers, so I never know when there's going to be a little spot of pink  ~ or two or three ~ to brighten my day. 

The bad thing about the location of this particular plant is that, that while it's in a position for me to see it frequently, it also is in position to be in the line of fire, as far as backyard activity.  Which, despite that violent-sounding expression, does not mean that our backyard activities include gunfire...

They do, however, include playing fetch with the dog, in which the ball is not thrown by the human participant, but shot with a hockey stick.  We have a couple of hockey players in the house, so the sticks are handy, and they enable you to play fetch without having to bend over and pick up a slobbery ball.

So the plant risks being banged by a hockey stick or stray ball, the dog itself, or any one of a number of other activities that goes on in our backyard.

And sure enough, there's been an injury to the plant. A small branch has been broken.

See how the branch is brown where it meets the dirt?
The main part of the plant is fine.  It's happy; it's green; it's blooming nicely.

But you know what?  So's the broken branch.

This is the broken branch.  See how green?
Somehow I guess a little bit of water is still managing to come up that sad brown stem, so that the upper part of the branch, and the leaves attached to it, are happy and green.  Small, but happy.

Beautiful!  Sorry there's no flowers right now...
It kind of amazes me to see how well this branch is doing, despite the fact that the base of it is broken.  And it made me think of this verse in Revelation.  I first came upon this verse about three years ago, and it touched me very personally.  The whole thing goes like this:  "I know your works.  See, I have set before you and open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name."

This is the part of Revelation where John has something to say ~ from Jesus ~ to seven different churches.  This particular part is spoken to the church at Philadelphia, and I just love the praise in it.  I was going through a very difficult time in my life, and I felt He was speaking to me through this verse.  And I felt that He wanted me to know that He was pleased with me.  It was so eye-opening to know that having a little strength was enough. 

Is it something He wants you to know, too?  Are you feeling like you only have a little strength?

It's okay.  Keep His Word, and do not deny His name.  And know that your little bit of strength is enough.

~ "He gives power to the weak,
and to those who have no might
He increases strength" ~
Isaiah 40:29

No comments:

Post a Comment