Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Lesson From The Hobbit (the movie)

"the Lord called Samuel.  
And he answered, 'Here I am!' "
1 Samuel 3:4

Yup.  Another lesson from The Hobbit.  After this I'm probably going to stop talking about The Hobbit for awhile.  I think.

But this lesson came to me while I was watching the movie, not from reading the book. They are a little different, of course... the movie and the book.  That's generally the case.  And it can be hard, when you love a book, to see the changes that are made to characters or plots.  For the most part, I think it's understandable; books and movies are totally different media.  Some things just don't carry over. 

One of the things I enjoyed about "The Hobbit" (the movie) was getting to know the characters a little better.  In The Hobbit (the book), the main character was Bilbo (the hobbit.  You following all this?)  The dwarves and Gandalf were rather bit parts.  But in the movie ~ probably because it's to be a trilogy ~ the characters are more developed.  The dwarves have definable looks and characteristics, which has made for some good-natured back-and-forth in my house, as my kids insist that their favorite is the best. 

And don't even get them started on the Avengers...

The scene I loved was toward the beginning.  The group had not yet left Bilbo's house to head out on their quest.  It was the night before, and they were sitting around the fire.  Balin and Thorin were in a conversation, discussing the high odds against the success of their mission.  Balin said, "After all, what are we?  Merchants, miners, tinkers, toy-makers... hardly the stuff of legend."

But it's Thorin's reply that is challenging, and inspirational to me:  "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over an army, for when I called, they answered."

There is something huge about responding when called.  I think it's fair to say that it's the most important thing we can do in life.   Whether it's your child calling you in the middle of the night, or a friend calling you to walk with them through a crisis, or God calling you to serve Him in something difficult or boring or scary.  Answering when we're called is when we stop thinking about ourselves.

And whether it's retrieving a stuffed animal off the floor, making a casserole, or heading off to the mission field, it's when the big things happen.  'Cause God doesn't call us to anything small.

I'm going on an adventure!

~ "If today you hear His voice,
      harden not your heart" ~
Psalm 95:7,8
~

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. I haven't seen the movie The Hobbit, but I have read just about everything Tolkien ever wrote. If that line isn't in the book, it should be. Lots of his sentences just take one's breath away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, RWP ~ I am excited to have just "discovered" him for myself, and to know there's so much more of his work for me to explore!

    ReplyDelete