Tuesday, April 23, 2013

C is for Cookie ~ That's good enough for me

"his allowance was a continual allowance
given him of the king, 
a daily rate for every day, 
all the days of his life."
2 Kings 25:30

I baked homemade dog cookies today.  I decided it would be cheaper to make them myself, since we're on a tight budget.  Plus, we always buy the cheapest brand we can, which means they aren't always the right size for our lil barker, so then we have to break them all up into smaller pieces so that we can get even more for our money!  But when I bake them myself, I can make them in just the right size for her.  The kids and I tried them, and they taste pretty boring, but it's okay, cuz we're talking about a dog who eats things you don't want to know about...

I've had many a head-shaking, eye-rolling conversation with the Apple of my Eye, about dog cookies.  We just don't have the same point of view on this issue.  I don't understand why he still feels the need to reward her every time she does what nature has called her to do. 

He says the reward is not for answering the call of nature, it's for answering the call of nature outside, as opposed to in the house. 

I maintain that she's been housebroken for about eight years now, so I think she's pretty much trained.  After all, I don't still give my kids stickers and m'n'ms when they wake up dry.  Incentive used.  Child trained.  Done and move on. 

But, either on principle or out of habit (begging the question, "Who trained who?") every day Holly gets her ration of treats. 

"Did someone say 'cookie'?"

Which, really, in the grand scheme of things, is fine with me.  There are far bigger issues that I should allow to take up space in my brain.  

And I think, for Holly, it must be wonderful.  I mean, she gets fed every day, but what a treat to also get, well, a treat!  It's not much; just a little something from those she loves most in the world. 

So naturally, while thinking about all this today, I thought about Mephibosheth. 

Didn't you?

I love the story of Mephibosheth, as I may have mentioned in the past.  We find him in 2 Samuel, in a few different chapters, but mostly in chapter 9.  He was the son of Jonathan, who was the son of King Saul, and David's closest friend.  And after Jonathan had died and David had become king, David honored his treasured friendship with Jonathan by honoring Mephibosheth.  "Mephibosheth shall eat bread at my table always."  (2 Samuel 9:10)

It was an privilege for Mephibosheth, but it pleased David to do it.  And my favorite thing about that story, and about that verse, is the word "always".  There's just something about a promise from someone powerful; someone you know can fulfill that promise. 

It's the promise of manna. 

It's the promise of "Give us this day, our daily bread..."

And to be honest, it reminds me that it's not about much, but about consistency

God gives, every day.  He gives beauty and peace and joy and blessings. 

I can look over there -->,
     and think He has given them -->
          more than He has given me

and sometimes I do that...

But that means taking my eyes off of what is in my lap.  And to forget, is to cease to be thankful.

~ "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life" ~
Psalm 23:6
~

No comments:

Post a Comment