Sunday, April 7, 2013

Only Alone by Choice

"He who is not with Me is against Me"
Matthew 12:30

I went to an amusement park a few weeks ago.  Even though I didn't particularly want to.  

It's not that I don't like amusement parks, it's just that they're not really in our budget right now.  We were able to get a great deal on admission, through a relative who works there, but there's still food and parking to pay for.  Which is not cheap.

Not to mention, it's exhausting.  It's twelve hours ~ give or take ~ of being on your feet, only sitting down when you eat.  Walking, running, and a whole lot of standing.

So all-in-all, I'm just as happy to hang out at home.  I can entertain myself by reading or watching TV.  I can study, I can get things accomplished, and I can eat for free.  Or very little.

But I went.  And of course I had a great time.  But the reason I went wasn't about the place.  I went because my family was going.  My sisters were in town with their families, and everyone ~ including my own kids ~ was going.  And I wanted to be with them.

See, it wasn't about the where; it was about the who.

This is how we ought to feel about being with Jesus.  When I was a new mom, with a routine (and a sleep schedule) that had gone *kerblooey*, someone said to me that while it may be hard, "Do whatever it takes to be with Jesus."

I love that truth.  I would rather be in the boat, in the storm, if that's where Jesus us, than safe on the shore.  'Cause on the shore is not as safe as I think it is, if Jesus is in the boat.

At the cross, or in Paradise.  We need to choose to be with Him.

~ "Assuredly, I say to you, 
   today you will be with Me in Paradise." ~
Luke 23:43
~

No comments:

Post a Comment