Friday, April 19, 2013

In Praise of Poetry

"David spoke to the Lord the words of his song"
2 Samuel 22:1

It's the 18th of April as I write this.  In aught-thirteen.  Not 'seventy-five.

But the 18th of April ~ in any year ~ always makes me think of Paul Revere. 

photo credit: biography.com

Hey, that was a poem!  In a post about poetry!  What are the odds?

The 18th of April, in any year
Makes me think of Paul Revere

I wrote a couplet.  My kids will be so proud.  

I am not really a big fan of poetry.  I guess that's only relative to others' views on poetry, but as I studied poetry in school, I just felt there were so many poems that I was required to read, that seemed to have no affect on me, emotionally.  I like facts, and I generally like cutting to the chase.  So the Apple of my Eye knows not to buy me any greeting cards that have a trite rhyming quatrain.

Though apparently I'm okay with the odd, impromptu couplet.

And my Awesome Girl recently taught me a poem, that I loved the minute I heard it:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
Others don't

It's deep, isn't it?

Since I'm my kids' teacher, I do teach them poetry, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have told them the truth:  I sometimes struggle with poetry... but I love poems.

I say that because there are poems that I have read in my life, that have touched my heart.   Like Emily Dickinson ~ "Hope is the the thing with feathers that perches in the soul."

Or Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world

I have stood at the foot of that rude bridge.  And when I think about that poem, I am reminded of how I felt when I stood there, thinking back to that place, and what happened there.

And every year, on the 18th of April, I can't help but hear in my head, the words of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ~

On the eighteenth of April, in seventy-five
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year...

One, if by land, and two, if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
for the country folk to be up and to arm.

This is the purpose of poetry.  To stir in us the emotions of joy, awe, and thankfulness.  To remind us of where we used to be, and what God has done for us.  Of what used to be, and what could be the case again.

And when I remember that, I am more grateful ~ and pay more attention to ~ the poetry in the Bible.

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer... my shield and the horn of my salvation... my stronghold and refuge... I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised; and so I shall be saved..."  (2 Samuel 22:2,3,4)

We should not be able to read verses like this in a monotone.  Of any words in the Bible, these should not leave our minds without first traveling to our hearts.

How about this:  "The Lord thundered from heaven, and the Most High uttered His voice.  He sent arrows and scattered them; lightning bolts and He vanquished them.  The channels of the sea were seen, the foundations of the world were uncovered at the rebuke of the Lord..." (2 Samuel 22:14-16)  This is the power of the Lord.

And it's followed by this:  "He took me, drew me out of many waters... delivered me from those who were too strong for me..."  and why?  "He delivered me because He delighted in me." (2 Samuel 22:17,18,20)

This song of David is an acknowledgement of God's power.  The power available for you, too.  Why?  Because He delights in you?

"You are my lamp, O Lord.  By my God I can leap over a wall.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and sets me on high places... therefore I will give thanks to You, and sing praises to Your name." (2 Samuel 22:29,30,34,50)
 
What has God done for you, and what is your response?

How blessed are we by David, the Psalmist?  How blessed are we that God plucked this shepherd boy out of the field, to lead armies in times of battle; to lead his nation in times of peace, and to lead us in praise of God?

Christians sometimes struggle with unity.  There are so many differing opinions.  But no matter what church we go to, no matter what style of worship we prefer.... Though we disagree on how to honor the Sabbath, or why and how to fast.... On the worthiness of God to be praised, we cannot disagree.

~ "I will give thanks to You,
     and sing praises to Your name" ~
2 Samuel 22:50
~

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you moved from Longfellow and Emily D. and Ralph Waldo Emerson into the Hebrew poetry of the Bible. Another wonderful post!

    I wrote a Paul Revere post in 2009. It is here.

    I like the "Roses are Red" poem and will probably use it in the future.

    When I was a young whippersnapper, there was a little poem we all would chant whenever someone inadvertently made a little rhyme (like you did). Here it is:

    You're a poet
    And don't know it
    But your feet sure do show it
    'Cause they're long fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, RWP! I will click over to your Paul Revere post!

    And as a girl who wears a size 9 shoe, I heard that rhyme from my folks frequently! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete