Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Prayer That Leads to Praise

"lift your eyes to heaven"
Deuteronomy 4:19

Today is a very praying day for me.

First of all, we've been studying John 17 in Bible study.  26 verses of Jesus in communication with His Father, in the presence of the disciples, so they could hear it, and recorded for us, so that we could read it.  One of my friends said, "Now this is the The Lord's Prayer!"

Secondly, I'm in the midst of a two-day headache that has me feeling weak and dependent on Him.  I'm thankful that He is giving me the energy and direction to accomplish things, otherwise I'd just be horizontal most of the day.

When I am in a very praying mood, it's often rather self-centered.  After all, we think of Him more when we need Him, right?  That's not just me, right? 

So I try to counter my neediness by focusing on all that makes Him Him.  For instance...

I'm thankful that He is understanding ~
"Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite." (Psalm 147:5)

I'm thankful that He is there ~  
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)

I'm thankful that He is eternal ~  
"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.  Amen." (1 Timothy 1:17)

I'm thankful that He is my guide ~
"You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory." (Psalm 73:24)

I'm thankful that He is loving ~
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with My loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)

I'm thankful that He is the God of all comfort ~
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort." (2 Corinthians 1:3)

I'm thankful that He gives faith ~
"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17)

I hope you have a praying day today.

But without the headache.

~ "Prayer will be made for Him continually,
and daily He shall be praised" ~
Psalm 72:15
~

No comments:

Post a Comment