Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Over and Over

"we have sinned;
in these ways we continue"
Isaiah 64:5

People in a position of power thinking that the rules don't apply to them.  Anyone come to mind?

If yes, don't say it out loud.  That's not necessary.  And it might be risky, depending on the company you're currently keeping.  But people like that exist, so I was pretty sure you'd think of someone.

Maybe it's not just people in power, so much as people in certain positions.  Sometimes people can get comfortable because of a sense of security in their position, and it stops them from being worried about the consequences of their decisions.  Maybe that position is one of power, or maybe it's in a job or a relationship.

We recently finished studying the Book of Jeremiah at my church.  It's a long book, and sometimes a bit depressing ~ Jeremiah was, after all, known as the Weeping Prophet.

As I studied it, I found myself thinking a lot about the Israelites, their continual worship of other gods, and the punishment that was imminent.  But I also came around to directing the lessons to myself.  You know, trying to see what I should be applying to my life.  And of course, the same lesson applies.  Refusal to give Him priority in my life.  Weakly succumbing to the same sins of defiance and laziness.

My salvation is secure, but that doesn't mean my behavior doesn't matter.  Paul said in Romans 6, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?  Certainly not!"  But he also said, in Romans 7: "the good that I will to do, I do not do.  But the evil that I will not to do, that I do." 

In other words, it ain't easy.

That's why it's called a battle. 

Just because the temple was in Jerusalem did not mean that Jerusalem was invincible.  Being God's beloved does not mean we are free to do whatever we want.  Carrying His banner before us is a privilege, but it is also a responsibility.

~ "Be ye perfect, 
even as your Father in heaven is perfect" ~
Matthew 5:48
~

No comments:

Post a Comment