Thursday, August 22, 2013

Selah

Psalm 62. 

A friend of mine recently showed me the beauty of this psalm.  It's sort of "a day in a life" encompassed in a few verses. 

Verses 1 and 2 are how we should start our morning ~ praise and joy in the knowledge of Him:

"Truly my soul silently waits for God;
from Him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be greatly moved."

Isn't that a great way to start your day?

But then something goes wrong.  Traffic, co-workers, health problems, family, money, schedules, problems, issues, struggles, struggles, struggles.  They attack, and we reach out to the Lord in prayer.  Verses 3 and 4:

"How long will you attack a man?  
You shall be slain, all of you,
Like a leaning wall and a tottering fence. 
They only consult to cast him down from his high position;
They delight in lies;
They bless with their mouth, 
But they curse inwardly."

Yeah, it's a little bit whiney, maybe.  But sometimes that's how we feel.  And that's okay.  As long as we don't wallow.

But then it continues, and by continuing along with it, I am brought back to where my heart and my mind should be.  David almost scolds himself a little, pulling himself up by his faith, if you will:

"My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory;
The rock of my strength,
and my refuge, is in God. "

And then he reminds us what we all should know:

"Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us."

He gives us truth...

"Surely men of low degree are a vapor,
Men of high degree are a lie;
If they are weighed on the scales,
They are altogether lighter than vapor."

... and a warning:

"Do not trust in oppression,
Nor vainly hope in robbery;
If riches increase, 
Do not set your heart on them."

And he closes with the praise that is acknowledging God's power:

"God has spoken once,
Twice I have heard this:
That power belongs to God. 
Also to You, O Lord, belongs mercy;
For You render to each one according to his work."

Power belongs to God. 

'Nuff said.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment