Sunday, August 11, 2013

Marshmallow, Chocolate, and Prayers

"roasted in fire"
Exodus 12:8

Our church had a beach bonfire the other night.  It's a very August-is-winding-down-and-with-it-summer-is-disappearing kind of thing to do.  The Apple of my Eye will attend another one with his Bible study next week. 

It was exactly what you'd expect from a beach bonfire.  Food, sodas, hymns sung around the fire (yes, the guy who brought a guitar even played "Kumbaya".  Haven't heard that since I was about ten.) 

And, of course, s'mores.  That wonderful combination of marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker.  I don't know who came up with that idea, but it sure works. 

The only problem is, it's a little messy. 

Well, that's not the only problem.  They're also a little tricky to properly prepare.  Hazards include burnt fingers, burnt marshmallows, and marshmallows that fall off of roasting sticks into the fire.

But what was bothering me was the "messy" thing.  The marshmallows are sticky, the chocolate is melty, the graham crackers are crumbly... it's difficult for one to eat a s'more and look dignified while doing it. 

And I realized, as much as I wanted a s'more, that I didn't want one badly enough to eat in that group.  There were people there I didn't know, and I guess I was just too embarrassed to risk making a mess of myself.  There are times and places to let one's guard down, ya know?

But that was the second time that day that I'd become aware of the fact that we choose to be vulnerable sometimes.  The other time was that morning, when I got together with a friend for coffee, and over the course of the conversation, we prayed together.  We had a very honest and open heart-to-heart, even laughing about how some of the stuff we were sharing, we wouldn't have shared with just anyone.  Even when you need prayer, there are times when you need to pray about who you want to pray for you!

I'm grateful for those people in my life that I trust.  I'm grateful for people who keep secrets, who don't judge, who handle my fears and anxieties with tender loving prayer, and who won't laugh at me if I get marshmallow in my hair.

~ "there is a friend
     who sticks closer than a brother" ~
Proverbs 18:24
~

No comments:

Post a Comment