Friday, December 30, 2011

Show and Tell

"be filled with the Spirit, 
speaking to one another
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing and making melody 
in your heart, to the Lord."
Ephesians 5:18,19

I studied Ephesians a few years ago in Bible study, and I remember when this verse caught my eye.  I'm always intrigued by verses that don't seem the obvious choice of words, or seem repetitive, or as in this case, contradictory.  I was struck by the phrases, "speaking to one another" and "singing in your heart" (emphasis mine).  My first reaction to reading it was, "Well?  Which one?" 

As a mother, when my kids were young, watching me, and learning from me, I felt stuck between "when you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father," and "train up a child in the way he should go..."  But really, I was called to both.  My children needed (and need) to not just hear me lecturing them on the importance of quiet time with God; they need to see me practicing what I preach.  So to speak.  So sometimes I would have my quiet time early in the morning, alone in my room; and sometimes it would be later in the day, on the sofa where they couldn't help but see me.

What can you share with someone in your life, praising what's He's done and what He's doing?  How is He working in your life?  What has He said to you recently?  What did He do in your past to make you who you are today?  Are you in a season of seeking refuge in the shadow of His wing, or a season of boldness and courage ~ armor on and sword drawn?

It's important to have that personal time, in our rooms, with the doors closed, singing and making melody in our hearts, to the Lord.  But growth also happens when we share with one another.   Ecclesiastes 3:7 says there is a time to keep silent, and a time to speak.  Look for both those opportunities; He will provide them. 

~ "speak what you know" ~
Job 34:33

No comments:

Post a Comment