Monday, December 26, 2011

Viva la difference!

"we have different gifts"
Romans 12:6

I met an amazing person last week.  And I know that even though I know next-to-nothing about him...   I know his name is Andrew.  And I know where he lives.  I think that's it. 

We were driving around last week looking at extravagant Christmas light displays, and we headed a few miles away to one we had read about in the paper.   But this family ~ this man ~ had gone beyond the typical "string-of-lights-hanging-from-the-eaves-of-the-house".  He'd even gone beyond "lights-over-every-square-inch-of-house-and-lawn" and "lights-flashing-in-sync-with-the-music-on-the-radio-station". 

This home had decorated elaborated on the inside, too.  On the front porch area, in the entry hall, the family, the living room, the dining room, the hallway.... all full of miniature figures and houses and lights and ornaments, and all themed and color-coordinated.  I know all this because everyone who came to see the light display was invited into the house.  He just stood there in the doorway, wearing his Santa suit and a light-up elf hat, welcoming strangers into his home, with a smile and a handshake, for a cup of cider and a healthy dose of Christmas cheer.

And this, to me is amazing.  I mean, I decorate my house, but it's nothing unusual.  I decorate the inside, too.  I have ornaments and decorations that mean a lot to me; that I'm quite fond of ~ proud of, even.  But I gotta tell ya, I'm not inviting any strangers in to view them.   So I'm amazed at the outgoing personality necessary to decide to do this.  Especially every night during the Christmas season. 

I'm so glad for all differences that God created between you and me.  It's the variety of gifts and passions and interests and energies in the world that makes us all able to be a blessing to one another.   I don't think I'm ever going to have what it takes to be that open and welcoming with strangers.  But I might be someone who blesses Andrew in some other way.  Or maybe I'm able to bless someone who blesses someone who blesses Andrew.  Well, you know what I mean.

God's got it all figured out.  Just do your thing, for someone else, and God will pass it along!  :)

~ "We have different gifts, 
according to the grace given to each of us" ~
Romans 12:6

2 comments:

  1. I tend to associate lavish Christmas lights with decadence, extravagance, superiority to others, a general aloofness, not knowing when enough is enough, thinking if a little is good a lot is better. But, hey, that's just me, not that I'm the judgemental type or anything.

    Who woulda thunk someone might actually have wanted to bless others with loving generosity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... yeah, there's probably a few of those people, too. But maybe we shouldn't think about them ;)

    ReplyDelete