Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sing, Sing, Sing

"let me sing to my Well-beloved"
Isaiah 5:1

Okay, this only works in the New King James version, so if your version says something else, (like "now I will sing") sorry about that.  But, this is one of those posts that is about what I thought of when I read a line in Scripture, so it's the inspiration that matters.   :)

I read this line today, and was very intrigued by the phrasing.  The singing in question is praising the Lord, but why say, "let me sing"?   "Let me" sounds like asking permission, or wanting to, and not being able to.  And that made me think, what if we wanted to praise Him, but couldn't

There is agony in desperately wanting to do something, and not being able to.  So what would be the reasons for someone not be able to do something they really want to?  Maybe needing permission to, and not getting it.  Or not having the necessary equipment or tools for whatever you wanted to do.  Or simply not having the ability.

So how does that apply to praising God?

I read a few years ago about a woman who is a quadriplegic, and therefore, unable to kneel when she prays.  She looks forward to being in heaven, in a glorified body, and being able to kneel before God, since it's something she cannot do on earth.

I also thought about Helen Keller.  Someone without the ability to speak also does not have the ability to sing.  Of course an attempt to verbally communicate, by someone who essentially can't, would still be thoroughly appreciated by God, but it still might be frustrating not to be able to sing praises to Him the way you want to.

I suppose it could be the case that someone might fear to praise Him because of embarrassment in front of others, or an inability to admit His worthiness to be praised, which means acknowledging one's own humility or vulnerability.

So.... Do you have what it takes to sing praises to Him?  Do you have the capacity for understanding that He is worthy of appreciation?  Do you have His permission?  (I'll give you hint:  He wrote in His Word, "Sing the praises of the Lord, you His faithful people; praise His holy name."  So, yes, you do have His permission.)

So, if you're not singing His praises, why aren't you??


~ "The whole crowd of disciples
began joyfully to praise God in loud voices: 
'Blessed is the King 
who comes in the name of the Lord!  
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!' 
But some of the Pharisees in the crowd 
said to Jesus, 'Teacher, rebuke Your disciples!'  
But He replied, 'I tell you, if they keep quiet, 
the rocks themselves will cry out.' " ~
Luke 19:38-40

No comments:

Post a Comment