Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Life is a Fraction

"solve and explain it to me"
Judges 14:12

I did some school with my Amazing Boy this morning.  We slow down and get a little lazy during the summer, but we try to keep learning.  Couple of days a week, and plenty of reading.

So I gave him some math review to start with.  He finished everything in this year's textbook, but I had some worksheets left over from earlier in the year.  Great way to make sure he still remembers what he knew several months ago. 

But these particular worksheets don't have an answer key.  So I have to do the work myself in order to grade them.  I was thrilled that he breezed through it, but I still had to check, ya know?  And I'm pleased to say he got them all right.

But as I pondered 7/8 minus 2/3, it occurred to me that it's positively ridiculous that the answer to that problem is 5/24.  I mean, 7 minus 2 equals 5, but you look at those denominators, and one's an 8 and one's a 3 and where the heck does that 24 come from?? 

You have to understand the steps to understand the answer.  The 8 and the 3 need to change, but that's not readily obvious.  And if you don't know the procedure, you'd just look at all those numbers and not have any idea how to make something logical out of it. 

Life, my friends, is a fraction.  You are 7/8.  That thing that's going on in your life is 2/3.  God's gonna make it equal 5/24, and you have no idea how.  It's just not gonna make sense on the surface, and it can be hard to see how this is going to work out for good.  If you analyze it and pray over it and research the Scriptures, you might be able to see what He's doing ~ but maybe you won't. 

Be happy either way.  Be excited for those times you see what He's doing in your life, and why.  And when you don't, revel in the gift of faith. 

~ "The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?" ~
Psalm 27:1
~

2 comments:

  1. I plan to play "The Lord Is My Light" as an offertory this Sunday, 7/14 (that's a date, not a fraction), and I decided on all the music for Sunday and emailed the selections to the church secretary for the bulletin two whole hours before I ever read this post. 7/8 minus 2/3 may equal 5/24, but trusting in God equals 1000 per cent every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RWP, I'm glad to know we're so in sync. I must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete