Sunday, July 21, 2013

Just One Part

"the same God who works in all"
1 Corinthians 12:6

We went to our family reunion today, which we do every summer.  There are relatives who come from much farther away than we do, so it's always fun to see who's going to be there.

And I had a long conversation with a cousin I haven't seen in years.  Actually, he's my cousin's son, so he's really my first cousin-once-removed.  But that's too complicated, so we'll just go with cousin.

I haven't seen him in years because he grew up in Oregon, then lived in Alaska for some time, and then when he wasn't living in Alaska, he was serving with the US Army in Iraq.  He was wounded there, and although he looks fine now, he's unable to work due to the injuries he sustained.

So we talked about his hobbies and his daughter (sweet little five-year-old; I met her for the first time today.)  He's an amazing guy:  down-to-earth, good conversationalist, and interesting to talk to.  But something he said really stood out to me.

I've mentioned before, my admiration for how those in the military never think they are heroes, something Joe said, too.  But he took it one step further.  He said that sometimes people thank him, but he doesn't want that; he feels it's unnecessary.  He said, "Serving in the military is what I wanted to do."  He said he feels like he should thank others for raising or growing the food he eats, or for building homes for people to live in, or delivering the mail, or whatever. 

Of course, he's neglecting the part about how dangerous his job was, and about how for the rest of his life he will have to live with the injuries he suffered.  But he makes a good point about seeing your contribution to society, along with others'. 

I have an uncle who used to say, "It takes all kinds of people to make a world."  And it does.  And I have a God who says, "If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing?  If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling?  But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as he pleased." (1 Corinthians 12)

It seems wrong to compare my contributions to society to those of my cousin Joe.  I vote, I obey laws, and I'm doing my best to raise two kids who will make society a better place.  But that's not much when compared to soldiers, firefighters, or cancer researchers.  So it's comforting to know that me being the best me I can be, means I can be used by God.  That through Him, what I have to offer is bigger and more valuable than anything I can accomplish on my own.


But don't worry; I thanked Joe anyway. 

~ "There are diversities of gifts, 
but the same Spirit.
There are differences of ministries, 
but the same Lord.
And there are diversities of activities, 
  but it is the same God who works all in all." ~
1 Corinthians 12:4-6
~

2 comments: