Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day, Every Day

... A Closer Look at Psalm 51

"I acknowledge my transgressions"
Psalm 51

Psalm 51 has long been one of fascination for me.  I always wonder what the time and circumstances were when David wrote his psalms, and while some are a mystery, the turn of events that led to the writing of Psalm 51 are well known.

David had sinned.  His affair with Bathsheba, and the subsequent murder of her husband had been shown to him through God's eyes by the prophet Nathan.  And when he realized what he had done, David's response was immediate repentance.  How many of us can say that?

It's Memorial Day as I write this, and it's impossible not to look back at history with appreciation and a little regret.  Appreciation for the brave men and women who sacrificed for freedom and their country; and regret for how frequently I forget to be grateful.

It's not a bad way to look at life, really.  Appreciation for what someone else has done for my life, and remorse for my recurring selfish thinking.  As a matter of fact, it's a great frame of mind in which to end a day:  looking back over the day, and the week, and maybe back into history... Thankful to Him for His sacrifice... Thankful for the people He has put into my life that have blessed me... Remembering and acknowledging and repenting.  In memoriam.


~ "O Lord, open my lips,
   And my mouth shall show forth Your praise" ~
Psalm 51
~

No comments:

Post a Comment