Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Looking at "goodbye" in the rearview mirror

"Finally, friends, farewell."
2 Corinthians 13:11

Yesterday was a difficult day for me.  And yet, in some ways, it was not as bad as I thought. 

I had to say goodbye to some friends yesterday.  I've known it was coming for over a year, and for the past several months, just the thought of it was enough to bring me to tears.

You see, the hard part was, I was the one leaving. 

I've been involved in my Bible study class for six years, but I won't be able to attend this class in the fall.  My schedule has changed, and I'll be attending a different local class.  And I have a few friends already in the new class, but still there are a lot of people I won't be seeing anymore.  And it's been hard to think about.

But at the same time, I knew this was the direction God was leading me.  I have a chance to work on a wonderful and fulfilling writing project next year.  I'm excited about what the future holds, but it didn't eliminate the difficulty of saying good bye to the class and the friends I have loved for so many years.

And yet, as I said, it wasn't as hard as I thought.  I think it was partially because I had plenty of time to get used to the idea, and partially because I knew He something new and exciting for me in the near future.

But I also think it had to do with the fact that I was dreading this last day.  Sometimes we make things worse by imagining the worst.  We focus on the negative, and highlight the bad.

Now, to be honest, I've got friends who do this on purpose.  I really prefer trying to focus on the positive, but I know people who think if they go through life expecting bad, then they'll be pleasantly surprised whenever things aren't bad.  And I suppose that that attitude might truly bring about the desired result.  Maybe it works for them.

But I think I'll continue to choose light.  I'll choose to see God's hand, and find the joy.  It's not always easy.  Once in awhile the hard is so big, we have to look high and low to find the wonderful.  But it's there.  It's always there.  It's just that sometimes we can't appreciate it, until we see it in the rearview mirror.


~ "those days were turned from sorrow to joy,
    and from mourning to a holiday" ~
Esther 9:22
~

No comments:

Post a Comment