Thursday, May 1, 2014

Why I Loved April

"in the fourth month"
Jeremiah 39:2


I don't know what it is about me, but I love to sort of categorize the seasons of my life.  In a way, I think our culture leads us to; we say "I'm having a bad day" when maybe it's not really the entire day that has been bad.  Queen Elizabeth referred to 1992 as the annus horribilis, when she looked back over the misfortunes suffered by the Royal Family that year.

photo credit: abcnews
Anyhow, I sometimes look back over the previous month or year, and have an overall bad or good feeling about it; either thankful to be through it, or appreciative of what was wonderful about it.

March was a bad month for our family.  First of all, I had a terrible cold, and my kids and husband each had lesser version of it.  I really only get a cold every few years, but when I do, it's a doozy.  But even worse, was the unexpected deaths of both our dog and our cat, less than three weeks apart.  All-in-all, a bad month.

So I was almost relieved for the light green, perfumed, floral, lyrical beauty of April.  And I read this, early in the month: "The month of April is said to derive its name from the Latin verb aperio, which signifies to open, because all the buds and blossoms are now opening, and we have arrived at the gates of the flowery year."  Isn't that lovely sounding?

So as April comes to a close, I'm appreciative for all that it has been ~ much of which seems like nothing special, but a lot of "slightly special" adds up to very special!

April was my family, grieving and coming to grips with the loss of our pets, in laughter and joy in the memories we created with them.  It's true that memories keep our loved ones in our hearts.


April was seeing a long-expected movie premiere together with my family.  I love that we, and our kids, enjoy much of the same entertainment, and that we were all excited to see it and talk about it with one another.  I love who my kids are becoming, and I treasure every moment of these wonderful teenage years.


April was weather I love.  Summer is still a ways off ~ far enough that I don't have to think about it.  Because if I start to think about it, I'm gonna start to dread it.  Not my favorite season... But April?  Yes, please.

April was dolphins.  My daughter got to go whale (and dolphin) watching with my folks, and my sister and her family.  I wasn't there, but I got to see the pictures, and if there's anything as much fun as experiencing something myself, it's experiencing it through my kids' eyes.  I live vicariously, and I'm not ashamed.

April was diamonds and opals and emeralds and amethysts and blindingly-beautiful gemstones of every color, as my kids and I visited the Gemological Institute of America.


April was baseball.  'Nuff said.

April was a visit from my nephew, and our silent game where I continually turn his Winnie-the-Pooh upside down.  This effort on my part results in sideways grins and eye-rolls from my beautiful nephew.


April was Easter ~ and renewed appreciation for the sacrifice of my Savior, and the gift of eternal life.

April was lunch with a dear friend, a purple finch on my clothesline, making peace with a difficult choice, and prom dress shopping with my breathtaking daughter.

April was lilting and gentle, pastel and pastoral, verdancy and petrichor.

I am blessed.

~ "celebrate the dedication with gladness,
    both with thanksgivings and singing,
    with cymbals and stringed instruments and harps" ~
Nehemiah 12:27
~
Answers to yesterday's quiz:
1. (c) Jacob (Genesis 29)
2. (b) Zion (Joel 3)
3. (d) Sixth (Genesis 1)
4. (b) One (Genesis 6)
5. (a) Paul (2 Corinthians 10,11)
6. (a) Amorites (Joshua 10)
7. (d) Peter (John 18)
8. (c) Noah (Genesis 9)
9. (b) Eliab (1 Samuel 2)
10. (b) Zechariah

No comments:

Post a Comment