Thursday, May 15, 2014

The arm bone's connected to the leg bone...

"like a lame man's legs..."
Proverbs 26:7

Okay, so today let's talk about pitcher's leg syndrome, shall we?

Don't try to google that; I just made it up.

My son complained of his leg hurting all day on Tuesday.  Certain movements seemed to give him a sharp pain, high up near his hip.  I wasn't sure what he might have done to strain whatever muscle was hurting him, but he's an active kid, and he'd played baseball the evening before, so there were a myriad of possible causes.

He iced it a little bit, and tried to take it easy, but he had practice again that night, and he knew that might be hard.  So when the Apple of my Eye came home for lunch, we asked him about it, and whether our boy ought to take a practice off, to let it heal.

My sweetie responded to news of my son's leg pain by saying he wasn't surprised.  He said, "It's probably because you pitched so much last night, on that stupid mound."

Huh.  Interesting.  The mound in question is certainly unusual.  Different than any other Little League field on which we play.   The field itself is unusual, too.  The entire infield is dirt, as opposed to just at the basepaths.  The only place there is grass is in the outfield.

And the mound itself is made of something synthetic, with turf instead of grass, and has a pitching rubber attached.  And the whole thing is mobile, presumably so they can move it closer to the plate, or farther away, depending on the age and skill level of the team.

It can also be removed from the field entirely for softball which, as I understand it, is played without a mound.

But I could be wrong on that, so you can google that one.

I was surprised to learn that the pain in my son's leg could be caused by his time pitching.  Seems like the arm is the only member of the body in danger there...  But the material on which he was standing, and the instability of it, was not giving him the foundation he needed, for what he was asking his body to do.

It just astounds me sometimes, how things are connected.  How things are dependent on each other, and the impact ~ negative or positive ~ that circumstances can have, even when we don't realize it.  Sometimes we think we need to hold our shield in front of us, when the attack might be coming from behind, ya know?  I worry about my son's arm being sore when he pitches.  I didn't know I was supposed to be praying for his legs!

We need to be prepared, every day, for whatever the day has in store.  God is our refuge, and our protection in all circumstances.  So be where He is, and He'll be where you are.


~ "You hem me in, behind and before,
     and lay Your hand upon me." ~
Psalm 139:5
~

No comments:

Post a Comment