Monday, March 19, 2012

For You

"Look at the birds of the air...
See how the lilies of the field grow"
Matthew 6:26, 28

My Amazing Boy said something so sweet to me the other day.  It wasn't unusual for him; he says sweet things to me often.  But for some reason, I appreciated it more than I usually do.  And for some reason, it occurred to me that it might be God talking...

He was outside practicing baseball.  I'm not sure what he does when he's out there.  He spends some time every day hitting something, or throwing something, or catching something... I was inside doing whatever it is I do every day:  cleaning something, folding something, typing something, reading something...  And he poked his head in the back door and said, "Momma?  There's a pretty birdie out here I thought you might want to see."


We've looked at lots of birds together.  When we do school, his chair faces the window that looks out on the apple tree.  And he knows it's a perfectly acceptable interruption to point out to me that there's a bird in the apple tree.  We've seen finches, martins, sparrows, hummingbirds and woodpeckers.  For that matter, we've also stopped school for lizards, flocks of crows, and one fast-moving ferret.

But when my son called me to come see a bird, I thought to myself that God must be pleased with him.  {With my boy, not the bird.  Although God is probably pleased with the bird, too...}

I was pleased, that I'm successfully raising a boy who appreciates birds and clouds and sunsets.  Nature is so important to me, and I'm glad that my kids appreciate it, too {also evidenced by all the pictures my Awesome Girl takes!}


Even as I type this, I'm sitting in my car, under a tree, and I am hearing a variety of tweets and chirps and trills... and the insistent banging of two woodpeckers.  It's a symphony, really:  melody, harmony and percussion.

I would really like it if God brought my attention to everything He was doing for me, the way my son did.   If He said, "Daughter, if you got up right now, you'd get to see this sunrise I painted."  Or, "I know you're enjoying that TV show, but I just made another flower bloom in your front yard."


But maybe He does, and I'm just not listening...


~ "You alone are the Lord;
You have made heaven...
the earth and everything on it,
the seas and all that is in them " ~
Nehemiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment