Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hard at work...

"built on the foundation"
Ephesians 2:20

A friend of mine stopped by last week with an unusual delivery for me.  Her mother died several months ago, leaving behind several unfinished needlework projects, and my friend thought I might like the challenge of finishing them. 

I've only found a little spare time so far, but it's been very interesting to work on finishing someone else's project.  It's a little difficult to try to "catch" someone else's vision for completion.  Not all of her projects have an obvious goal!  I had to take a couple over to my mom's to see what she should was the next step on them.

There's also a sense of responsibility, somehow.  My friend's mom was a friend of mine, too.  It feels like an honor to be picking up where she left off.  I know, it's not quite like Gutzon Borglum's son having to complete Mount Rushmore after Borglum's death... It's just needlework.  But still...

This thinking of mine put me in mind of this wonderful verse from Ephesians.  In its entirety it reads like this:  "You are, therefore, no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone".  I just love that phrase "the foundation of the apostles and prophets".  I love how it honors so many of the writers and heroes I love in the Bible.   And I love the reminder that what I do for God ~ for His glory and His kingdom ~ builds on the work of those who have gone before me.  There's honor and privilege in being part of that.

What I do to serve God pales in comparison with what David did, or Joshua, or Isaiah, or Jonah.  At least, it does to me.  But for Him, every bit is part of His plan.

~ "The whole building, being fitted together, 
      grows into a holy temple in the Lord" ~

Ephesians 2:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment