Friday, March 2, 2012

Just keep swimming.... just keep swimming!

"difficult is the way which leads to life"
Matthew 7:14

I love salmon.  Not just eating them, although I do love them that way.  But I love the fish in general.  I love how they look, and the story they tell by their lives.  I love that they're pink (although they prefer "salmon-colored").  I just think it takes so much courage for a fish to be pink, don't you?  I love their names:  Steelhead, Sockeye, Chinook, Coho...  They just sound strong and noble and.... I don't know, natural.

But most of all, I love their story.   I love that their eggs hatch in freshwater, but that the fish spend most of their lives in the ocean, and then they return to the place they were born, to lay their eggs.  I love that they swim upstream to do it.  They battle a lot of dangers to do it, too.  See?  There's a lot to admire about salmon.

There's a lot to emulate, too.  Salmon do it by instinct; you and I have to make a determination.  We have to want it.  Living a life free from sin is like swimming upstream.  Man, I don't know about you, but I feel that almost every day.  TV shows, movie trailers, conversations overheard at the baseball field... there's a lot going on that God doesn't want me involved in, or doesn't want me thinking about.  The world is full of things that will pull my attention away from Him, and from living for Him.  He has given me things to focus on:  my husband and kids, my church, Bible study, friends and family.   Now, there will be things that come up that might take my attention.  Some of those are from Him, for my growth or someone else's benefit. 

But some of them are just distractions that I'm allowing.  I need to ask myself what my goal is, and make sure that none of my short-term goals are taking me away from my long-term goal of being a blessing to those around me, and becoming more like Him.  Rewards await me, but I have to keep swimming!

~ "you have persevered and have patience, 
  and have labored for My name's sake 
 and have not become weary" ~
Revelation 2:3

No comments:

Post a Comment