Thursday, March 15, 2012

Maybe if I change my contact lenses...

"what is good in His sight"
1 Chronicles 19:13

I went to the eye doctor today, and I'm thinking now about vision.  I'm thinking about what it means to be spiritually far-sighted and near-sighted.  Because I think we need to be both...

Being near-sighted means being able to see clearly, what is up close.  I think spiritually, this means my day-to-day life.  My sweet husband, my amazing kids... my church, Bible study, the people I interact with at baseball and volleyball and around my neighborhood.  I want to know what God wants from me in this part of my life; at this time in my life.  I want to impact people in a positive way, to bless them and love them.  I want my goals to be what He wants from me.  But most of all, I want to value what He values, to have His vision, to see as He sees.   

On the other hand, being far-sighted means being able to see clearly when you look in the distance.  Spiritually, we can think of this as being in the future.  And this is where we are at a huge disadvantage.  God can see what we cannot.  He can see lots that we can't...  So why do I think that I can trust my judgment when it comes to the timing of the events in my life?  Why do I think I know what's good for me or my family, or what's bad?  I want to be spiritually far-sighted.  I want to trust Him completely when it comes to the future, both for my life, and for those around me.  I want to think eternally.

It changes what matters, when we change our focus.  And I want to see as He sees.

~ "Jesus had compassion 
and touched their eyes, 
and immediately their eyes received sight, 
and they followed Him" ~
Matthew 20:34

No comments:

Post a Comment