Sunday, January 13, 2013

Avoiding a Fumble

"looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

You watching any football lately?  Well, American Football, for those of you outside the U.S.  The NFL is in playoffs now.  My team is out if it, so I'm enjoying the fact that I can now watch games without getting emotionally involved in the outcome.

The commentators for today's game passed on an interesting comment at halftime.  They were quoting a player, whose name I didn't catch, because I wasn't paying that much attention.  But then I heard this great line.

The game was between the Denver Broncos and the Minnesota Vikings.  It was played in Denver, where it was less than 10 degrees.  And apparently someone asked this player something about how much more difficult it is to catch a football in weather like this.  How the cold affects your hands, etc.  But the player responded to the question by saying, "You don't catch a football with your hands; you catch it with your eyes."

Love that.  There's a great message there.  No matter how cold your hands are, your best chance at catching the football is to keep your eyes on it.  If that's your goal, your feet will take you where you want to be, and your hands will do what they're supposed to do. 

It's that way with our goals for Jesus, too.   The world is full of distractions, and things that can hinder us.  Even circumstances we can use as an excuse for our disobedience.  But if we keep our eyes on Him, the rest of us will follow. 

~ "I must be about My Father's business" ~
Luke 2:49
~

No comments:

Post a Comment