Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Celebrating the past ~ every year

"God, at various times and in various ways,
spoke in time past"
Hebrews 1:1

Well, the time has come.  I've started the process of putting away Christmas in our house.  I've been reluctant, because I'm still enjoying all the decorations.  After all, everything I own ~ by way of decorations ~ I own because it's beautiful, or because of the memories it provokes.  So it's hard to tuck them back into their tissue paper every January.  Even though I know I'll appreciate the clean feeling that comes when I remove the surplus stuff that's hanging, setting, and dangling in my home.

But as I remove each ornament from our tree, and tuck it away in its tin, I find myself grateful to Him for all He has done in my life, and the different people He has used to bless me.   It's my own annual post-Christmas version of It's A Wonderful Life.

You see, we don't have one of those trees that is decorated with matching balls and ribbons.  Ours would never grace the cover of a home decor magazine.  But it does a wonderful job of celebrating us.  Every ornament memorializes a person, or a time that is precious to one (or more) of my family.

For instance....

This ornament depicts the Jefferson Memorial.  
I can't remember where I got it, but I love it because it reminds me of our Nation's Capital.  
I grew up only a few minutes from Washington, DC, 
and it's one of my favorite places in the world. 

~

This ornament is one of the oldest I have.  
It was given to me by a friend, in 1981.  
Her father's dental office was in their basement,
but that's not as creepy as it sounds; 
it was a walkout basement.  And it wasn't uncommon for them 
to be used as offices that were accessible to the public.   
Anyhow, she gave an ornament 
to each of the girls in our circle of friends, 
and she engraved our names 
using one of her father's dental drills.  Clever, huh? 

~

This one I bought in a shop in San Francisco.  
My mom and I drove there after I graduated from high school.  
A fun mom-and-daughter road trip to celebrate my graduation 
and check out a couple colleges I was considering 
attending after junior college.  
She and I still talk about it, 
but that's mostly because I'm a terrible navigator, 
and I got us lost.  
Good times!

~

And this one is from a road trip with my dad, 
through the Great Basin National Park in central Nevada.
I don't remember getting us lost, 
but there's a pretty good chance I did...

~

Another ornament that reminds me of my childhood, 
but with a twist.  
This is from Busch Gardens, the theme park in southern Virginia.  
It has wonderful memories for my sisters and me, 
but those memories got even better a few years ago 
when I went there with my hubby and kids.  
There was a beautiful surrealism 
about returning to one of my favorite childhood spots, 
and watching my kids enjoy, while I took the role of my parents.  
A very sweet time for me.

~

This one was a gift my older sister.  
She gives an ornament to each member of our family every year, 
and they are often variations of the same design.  
Makes for some cute collections!

~

And this one is from my younger sister.  
She bought this while traveling through Alaska.  
She loves moose, and I love 
that she got an ornament for me that reminds me of her

~

Well, you certainly know what this is about, right?  
This was a wedding favor several years ago; 
we all rang them for the bride and groom, 
because throwing rice is passe.  
I think it makes make a cute ornament, 
reminiscent of the movie "It's A Wonderful Life".

~

Vacation souvenirs 
from Coloma, California ~ site of the discovery 
of the gold nugget that started the gold rush...


.... from the Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania...


... and from Washington, Missouri.


~

This one was a gift from my in-laws.  
I love it because Iowa is where my father-in-law's family is from. 
 I love the reminder of our family's history; 
of those who went before us.

~

And finally....
This is an ornament I bought for the Apple of my Eye, 
five years before we got married.  
I bought one for myself, too, 
so that we'd be sharing a part of Christmas, 
even though we couldn't share Christmases together yet.   
Twenty-two Christmasses together now, and counting.  
And each and every one a blessing. 

~

One of the best aspects of Christmas that we are given an opportunity to reminisce and celebrate the years, events, and people of our lives.  Every day is a reason to praise Him; and reason to be thankful.  Every day that we have lived becomes part of who we are, like a puzzle put together piece by piece, each one by His caring hand. 

~ "Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord
for His goodness,
and for His wonderful works
to the children of men!" ~
Psalm 107:15
~

No comments:

Post a Comment